copper half dudu, ND (1695-1794), Madras
(for use in Benkulen - nowadays Bengkulu -, a port on the south-west coast of Sumatra, aka Fort Marlborough)
The three letters "GCE" on the obverse stand for "(The) G(overnor and" C(ompany of Merchants of London trading to the) E(ast Indies)", the official full name of the Company at its creation. This logo or "balemark" remained used on some coins struck in Madras long after the deed of this company in 1702...



Newer Post Older Post Home